.

#778:  La Grange Mine (Hydraulic)

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

State Hwy 299, 4 mi W of Weaverville

40.738638, -122.996050

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

This mine, originally known as the Oregon Mountain Group of Claims, first operated about 1862. In 1892 the mine was purchased by the La Grange Hydraulic Gold Mining Company, which brought water from Stuart's Fork through 29 miles of ditch, tunnels, and flume to deliver it to the mine pit under a 650-foot head. Over 100,000,000 yards of gravel were processed to produce $3,500,000 in gold. Large-scale operations ceased in 1918.



2009 David Schmitt