From the Guidebook:
This early-day stopping place
for men and mounts was named for Judge Anson A. H. Tuttle,
who built the first log cabin here in 1848. Stones used
in the base for the plaque are from the old Swerer store
built in 1854, remains of which still exist (1949). Mark
Twain traded here. Tuttletown Hotel, built in 1852 and
still standing in 1949, was last operated by John Edwards.