.

#419:  Jacksonville

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

Vista point at N approach to Don Pedro Bridge, State Hwy 120 (P.M. 19.4), 3.5 mi SE of Chinese Camp

37.844603,-120.382212

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Near this site stood the historic town of Jacksonville, now inundated by the waters of Don Pedro Reservoir. The town was settled by Julian Smart, who planted the first garden and orchard in the spring of 1849, and named for Colonel A. M. Jackson. In 1850 it was the principal river town in the area and the center for thousands of miners working the rich bed of the Tuolumne River.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Golden Chain Council of the Mother Lode and the 120 Highway Association. November 19, 1971.



David Schmitt