.

#423:  Chinese Camp

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

NW corner of State Hwy 120 (P.M. 15.9) and Main St, Chinese Camp

37.870961,-120.431301

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Reportedly founded about 1849 by a group of Englishmen who employed Chinese as miners, Chinese Camp was headquarters for stagelines in early 1850s and for several California Chinese mining companies. Much surface gold was found on hills and flats. The first Chinese tong war in the state was fought near here between the Sam Yap and Yan Woo Tongs. Stone and brick post office, built in 1854, is still in use. The St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, built in 1855, was restored in 1949, its first pastor was Father Henry Aleric.

Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission. Base provided by Tuolumne County Council No. 2165, Knights of Columbus. Dedicated June 19, 1949.



David Schmitt