.

#114-1:  San Buenaventura Mission Aqueduct

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

234 Canada Larga Rd, Ventura

34.342072,-119.290967

 

 

Plaque:

No Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

The aqueduct at Canada Larga Road is two surviving sections of viaduct about 100 feet long and made of cobble stone and mortar. Originally, the watercourse ran from a point on the Ventura River about 1/2 mile north of the remaining ruins and carried the water to holding tanks behind the San Buenaventura Mission, a total of about 7 miles. The aqueduct was built by Chumash Indians 1805-15 to meet the needs of the mission population and consisted of both ditches and elevated stone masonry. The entire water system was destroyed by floods and abandoned in 1862.



©2009 David Schmitt