From the Guidebook:
This is the site of the headquarters
of the Spanish Rancho San José de Nuestra Senora
de Altagarcia y Simi. The name derives from 'Shimiji,'
the name of the Chumash village here before the Spanish.
At 113,000 acres, Rancho Simi was one of the state's largest
land grants. Two prominent Spanish and Mexican family
names are connected with the Rancho: Santiago Pico who
first received the grant, and José de la Guerra
who purchased the Rancho in 1842. Two rooms of original
adobe remain, part of the Strathearn home built in 1892-93.