.

#1040:  First Pacific Coast Salmon Cannery

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

Sacramento River, opposite foot of K Street, West Sacramento

38.583097,-121.508796

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

From here to the Sacramento River is the approximate site of California’s first Pacific Coast Salmon Cannery in Washington (Broderick), Yolo County, founded by Hapgood, Hume and Company in 1864.  This small canning operation was the beginning of the West Coast’s salmon canning industry.  Salmon caught in the Sacramento River were canned by the cooker-boiler method, rather than the contemporary salt preservation method of that time.  This allowed for wider markets and lower prices.  In 1866, due to the decline in salmon runs in the river, the operation was relocated along the Columbia River, Oregon.


From the plaque:

Founded in the town of Washington (Broderick), Yolo County by Hapgood, Hume, and Company in 1864, California’s first salmon cannery was located on a barge moored here on the banks of the Sacramento River. This small canning operation was the beginning of the salmon canning industry on the West Coast. Salmon caught in the Sacramento River were canned by the cooker-boiler method, rather than the salt preservation method commonly used at that time. The new process allowed for wider markets and lower prices. In 1866, declining salmon runs in the Sacramento River caused Hapgood, Hume and Company to move their canning operation to the Columbia River in Oregon.

Plaque placed by California State Parks, River Cats Foundation, West Sacramento Historical Society, City of West Sacramento, and the West Sacramento Chamber of Commerce, April 1, 2009.



©2009 David Schmitt