.

#851:  Woodland Opera House

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

W side of 2nd St between Main St and Dead Cat Alley, Woodland

38.677852,-121.772004

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

The first opera house to serve the Sacramento Valley was built on this site in 1885. The present structure, built in 1895-96, continues to represent an important center for theatrical arts of that period. Erected by David M. Hershey and incorporating the classic American playhouse interior, it served vast agricultural regions of the Sacramento Valley. Motion picture competition hastened its closing in 1913.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Yolo County Historical Society, April 28, 1973.



2009 David Schmitt