.

#493:  Johnson's Ranch

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

Front St, between Fourth and Main Sts, Wheatland

39.010330,-121.423269

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:


From the plaque:

The first settlement reached in California by emigrant trains using the Emigrant ('Donner') Trail, this was an original part of the 1844 Don Pablo Gutierrez land grant. It was sold at auction to William Johnson in 1845, and in 1849 part of the ranch was set aside as a government reserve-Camp Far West. In 1866, the town of Wheatland was laid out on a portion of the grant.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Wheatland Lions Club, May 30, 1971.



©2009 David Schmitt