#0745 Coloma Road - Sutter's Fort


#0745 Coloma Road - Sutter's Fort

Site information:

NE corner of 28th and L Sts, Sacramento


Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

The Coloma Road

Sutter’s Fort, established by Capt. John A. Sutter in August 1839, marked the Western end of the Coloma Road. Opened in 1847, this road ran from the Fort to Sutter’s sawmill at Coloma. Used by James W. Marshall in January 1848 to bring the news of the gold discovery to Sutter. It was traversed later by thousands of miners going to and from the diggings in 1849. The Coloma Road became the route of California’s first stage line, established by James E. Birch.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sacramento County Historical Society and the Grand Parlors, Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West. August 14, 1960.

Registered 7/5/1960