#0186 Serrano Tanning Vats


#0186 Serrano Tanning Vats

Site information:

On Temescal Canyon Rd, just W of the 15


Plaque information:

State plaque and private plaque

State plaque text:

Serrano Tanning Vats

Nearby, two vats were built in 1819 by the LuiseƱo Indians under the direction of Leandro Serrano, first non-Indian settler in what is now Riverside County. The vats were used in making leather from cow hides. In 1981 the vats were restored and placed here by the Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks of Recreation in cooperation with Temescal Water Company, Hydro Conduit Corporation, Glen Ivy Hot Springs, Phil Porretta family, and Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus, October 11, 1981.

Private plaque text:

Tanning Vat

Built in 1819 by Leonardo Serrano

Site restored by TR 172, El Capitan Dest. BSA

Marker made by the Boy Scouts in 1962
Salvaged by Billy Holcomb ECV in 1981

Registered 6/20/1935