#0096 Mormon Road

Title

#0096 Mormon Road

Site information:

In turnout on State Hwy 18, 0.5 mi W of junction with the 138

34.233485,-117.293840

Plaque information:

Private plaque

Plaque text:

Mormon Lumber Road

In the spring of 1852, over one hundred Mormon men donated a full thousand man-days of arduous labor, to construct a road up Waterman Canyon, past this spot, and into the prime timber, where some of their enterprising brethren established six sawmills by 1854. The lumber hauled over this road, thereafter, was used, not only to build San Bernardino, but also throughout Southern California, where the boards were sometimes called, "Mormon Banknotes."

Glendora, California Chapter, Sons of Utah Pioneers, Dedicated: 1 June 1991

OHP description:

When the Mormons came to the San Bernardino valley in 1851 they needed suitable lumber to construct their homes and stockade. To bring in lumber from the mountains they built an 11-mile wagon road that required about a thousand days' labor to complete.

Registered 3/29/1933

Geolocation