Site information:2.3 mi N of Hwy 58 on Bealville Rd, Caliente
Plaque information:Private plaque
Originally known as Allen's Camp after Gabriel Allen, who in the 1870s had a cabin and stock pasture near here, the settlement was named Caliente when railroad construction reached this point in April 1875. The town became a railroad terminal for about 16 months while a force of up to three thousand men, most of them Chinese, labored on the heavy railroad construction on the mountain.
Dedicated July 16, 1965. Marker placed by Kern County Historical Society, Bakersfield Parlor No.42 N.S.G.W., El Tejon Parlor No.239 N.D.G.W., and Kern County Museum.