#0302 Old Mill

Title

#0302 Old Mill

Site information:

1120 Old Mill Rd, San Marino

Site is privately owned and access is restricted to operating hours, though the building can be seen from the road.

34.118911,-118.127841

Plaque information:

There is a state sign at the site, and a private plaque specifically for the original millstones, but not one for the mill itself.

OHP description:

The Old Mill, El Molino Viejo, was designed by Father José María Zalvidea and built of fired bricks and adobe about 1816 to serve Mission San Gabriel. Another grist mill was built in 1823 near the mission and the old mill was gradually abandoned - it passed from mission control in 1846. The property remained in private hands until 1903, when Henry E. Huntington bought the building and used it for a golf clubhouse. Later owners, Mr. and Mrs. James Brehm, had the mill restored in 1928 by Frederick Rupple.

Registered 7/12/1939

Collection

Geolocation