#0522 Serra Springs


#0522 Serra Springs

Site information:

1439 S Barrington Ave, Los Angeles

The OHP directions refer to University High School, but understandably the school grounds are not accessible to visitors. However, there is now a museum for this site which allows visitors during brief operating hours. The entrance to the museum is on Barrington, towards the back of the school.  Also, they use the name Kuruvungna Springs or Gabrielino Tongva Springs now.


Plaque information:

Private plaques

Plaque text:

The National Society
Sons of the American Colonists
California State Society
Los Angeles, John Borton Chapter
Bicentennial Marking 1976

Marked this day March 20 1976, as a California Historical Spanish Colonial Landmark "In 1776 Portola camped at the springs as part of the Rancho San Vicente - Santa Monica known as the 1.Junipero Serra Springs; 2.El Berrendo; 3.San Gregorio; 4.San Vicente Springs. This site is on the El Camino Real route, used by the mission fathers and discovered by the Franciscan missionary priests and by Father Junipero Serra, who liked it's waters. Known by the Indian habitation as 5."Wounded Deer Springs"

Plaque text:

Wounded Deer Springs

A village site of the Tongva Indians who enjoyed the waters and participated in ritual games here as the original inhabitants of this area.

Dedicated in their memory on October 27, 1979 by the University High School "Warriors".

OHP description:

The Portolá Expedition of 1769 encamped at this spring, and it is reported that in 1770 Father Serra said Mass here to the Indians of this area. This spring was also the former water supply of the town of Santa Monica. The site is now the campus of the University High School.

Registered 11/1/1954