#0689 Los Encinos State Historic Park


#0689 Los Encinos State Historic Park

Site information:

Los Encinos State Historic Park, 16756 Moorpark St, Encino


Plaque information:

Private plaque

Plaque text:

De La Osa Adobe of Los Encinos State Historical Monument

This dwelling, built in 1849 by Don Vincente de la Osa, was a favored stopping place for the numerous travelers on El Camino Real. It stands on land that is part of the one-square-league Rancho El Encino granted in 1845 by Governor Pio Pico to three Indians, Ramon, Francisco, and Roque, whose interests were purchased by Don Vincente. Originally the land was under the jurisdiction of Mission San Fernando Rey founded in 1797.

Marked by Los Angeles Parlor No. 124 Native Daughters of the Golden West in 1937 and again in 1950.

OHP description:

The Franciscan padres used Encino as their headquarters while exploring the valley before establishing Mission San Fernando in 1797. In 1849 Vincente de la Osa built an adobe with nine rooms. The next owner of El Encino Rancho was Eugene Garnier, who built the existing two-story limestone house in 1872. In December 1891 Domingo Amestoy acquired the property.

Registered 7/31/1959