#0298 Empire Mine

Title

#0298 Empire Mine

Site information:

10791 Empire St, 1.2 mi E of Grass Valley

Plaque and site are part of a state park. Access limited to hours of operation.

39.206939,-121.046720

Plaque information:

Private plaque

Plaque text:

The Empire Mines 1850.

This plaque marks the site of the Empire Mine, noted for its continuous operation 1850-1957, producing over $120,000,000 in gold.

Dedicated March 17, 1963 by Manzanita Parlor No. 29 Native Daughters of the Golden West

OHP description:

The Empire Mine was originally located by George D. Roberts in October 1850. In the spring of 1854, the Empire Mining Company was incorporated and in 1865 new works, including a 30-stamp mill, were erected. In 1869 Wm. B. Bourn, Sr. purchased the Empire, when he died, Wm. B. Bourn, Jr. took over its management. The Empire was in constant operation from 1850 to the late 1950s.

Registered 2/23/1939

Collection

Geolocation