#0855 Mount Saint Mary's Convent and Academy


#0855 Mount Saint Mary's Convent and Academy

Site information:

S Church St between Chapel and Dalton Sts, Grass Valley

Site is private and gated, but the buildings can be seen from the road.


Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

Mount Saint Mary's Convent and Academy

Built by the Reverend Thomas J. Dalton and dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O’Connell as Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage. Under the Sisters of Mercy it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It functioned as an Academy (1868 - 1965) and a convent (1866 - 1968).

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Mount Saint Mary’s Historic Preservation Committee and the Sisters of Mercy, October 28, 1972.

Registered 4/24/1972