#0176 Benicia Arsenal

Title

#0176 Benicia Arsenal

Site information:

At intersection of Adams and Grant Sts, Benicia

38.047662,-122.139358

Some buildings from the Arsenal are still exist today, some along Tyler St a few blocks south, and others along Jefferson.  The photos show some of the older buildings.

Plaque information:

Private plaque

Plaque text:

Benicia Arsenal
1849-1964

On this historic site for more than a century military history was written. The loyalty, courage, and devotion of the military and the civilian who served their country here furnished material for a brilliant page in the saga of the far west. What we say here – will like autumn leaves, soon fall and fade away. What they did here will live forever. As the final curtain falls on the 115th anniversary of the founding of Benicia Arsenal, a grateful nation salutes you.

Erected by the Historic Landmarks Committee of the Native Sons of the Golden West and Benicia Parlor No.89, Native Sons of the Golden West.

Marker dedicated at Benicia Arsenal California, March 31, 1964.

OHP description:

Captain Charles P. Stone, with 21 enlisted men, established Benicia Arsenal as an ordnance depot in August 1851. The first building, a small wooden powder magazine, was erected in September 1851. Between 1853 and 1863, Congress authorized $550,000 to be spent on the establishment, and some 15 stone and frame buildings were constructed. The arsenal was first called 'California Ordnance Depot,' then 'Benicia Arsenal Depot,' and finally, in the spring of 1852, 'Benicia Arsenal.' It played an important role in crises such as the Indian wars. Some of its original buildings are in use today. Descendants of the men who established Benicia Arsenal are still living in Benicia and other parts of California.

Registered 3/6/1935

Collection

Geolocation