#0237 Temelec Hall

Title

#0237 Temelec Hall

Site information:

220 Temelec Circle, Sonoma

38.265719, -122.499923

Plaque information:

State plaque located on the back wall of the building.

Private plaques located near the state plaque, and on the front of the building.

Plaque text:

State plaque

Temelec Hall

This structure was erected in 1858 by Captain Granville P. Swift, a member of the Bear Flag Party, using stone quarried here by native Indian labor. General Percifor F. Smith, U.S. military commander in California, lived in the little house nearby in 1849.

California State Park Commission

Plaque text:

Private plaque

Temelec Hall

Captain Granville P. Swift, great-gandnephew to Daniel Boone and early pioneer to California, spent his 21st birthday in 1842 building balsa reed rafts to float hides and tallow down the Sacramento River to Benicia to trade for supplies.

Swift was a June 1846 Bear Flagger and traveled the length of California as a Captain in the American military for the short war with Mexico. One of the first to the gold fields, he then brought his fortune to Sonoma and laid the cornerstone for his mansion on June 19, 1858.

A California Historical Landmark #237 since 1936, Temelec Hall was accepted to the National Register of Historic Places April 19, 2006.

Dedicated June 21, 2008 by the Native Sons of the Golden West.  Duane R. Gavin, Grand President.  In memory of James D. Phelan, United States Senator
Registered 6/10/1936

Collection

Geolocation