Site information:Corner of Cemetery Ln and Church St, Vallecito
Plaque information:Private plaque which doubles for this landmark and #370
One of California's important early day mining towns named by Mexicans meaning Little Valley. Gold was discovered here by the Murphy Brothers on 1849. It was originally called "Murphys' Old Diggings". This bell was cast at Troy N.Y. in 1853. After being brought around the horn it was purchased from the ship with funds contributed by early day residents, then brought to Vallecito and erected in a large oak tree in 1854. It was used to call the people together for all purposes until February 16, 1939, when a severe wind blew the old tree down.
This monument was erected by popular subscription and dedicated by the Grand Parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West on the first day of October, 1939
OHP description:This mining camp of the early 1850s was almost totally destroyed by fire on August 28, 1859. Nearby is Moaning Cave, which the Indians used as a burial ground.