Site information:In front of fire station, 375 Main St, Copperopolis
Plaque information:State plaque
Copper discovered here by W. K. Reed and Thomas McCarty in 1860. Mines were utilized during the Civil War and the first and second world wars. During Civil War period was principal copper producing section of United States.
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by Copperopolis Community Center. Dedicated May 30, 1949.