Site information:Intersection of Meiss St & Hwy 16, Sloughhouse
Plaque information:State plaque
Sloughhouse, prominent hotel and stage station on the road to the Amador mines, was a favorite stopping place for travelers such as Leland Stanford. Constructed in 1850 by Jared Dixon Sheldon, it was destroyed by fire in 1890 and rebuilt the same year. Many descendants of pioneers of the community of Sloughhouse, which developed near Sheldon's establishment, still live in this fertile valley of the Cosumnes.
Plaque erected by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with Liberty Parlor No. 213, Native Daughters of the Golden West, September 15, 1957.