#0039 Butte Store

Title

#0039 Butte Store

Site information:

State Hwy 49 (P.M. 1.4)

38.325626,-120.735221

Plaque information:

Private plaque

Plaque text:

Butte Store

Constructed by Italian stone mason in 1857. Served pioneer settlers and miners as post office and general store later known as Ginocchio's.

Dedicated by Grand Parlor Native Sons of the Golden West. March 9, 1985 William Bundesen, Grand President In Memory of James D. Phelan, U.S. Senator

OHP description:

This is the only structure remaining of Butte City, prosperous mining town of the 1850s. As early as 1854 Xavier Benoist was conducting a store and bakery in this building. Later Ginocchio had a merchandise business here.

Registered 8/1/1932

Collection

Geolocation