#0369 Chapel of Santa Ysabel (Site of)


#0369 Chapel of Santa Ysabel (Site of)

Site information:

State Hwy 79, 1.5 mi N of Hwy 78

The original chapel no longer exists.  New chapel built on same site.


Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

Santa Ysabel Asistencia Site

The first mass at a site nearby was celebrated September 20, 1818 by Father Fernando Martin. By 1822, Santa Ysabel was an asistencia, or mission outpost, that had a chapel, a granary, several houses, a cemetery, and about 450 neophytes. After secularization in the 1830s, priestly visits became rare. When the roof caved in, after 1850, ramadas were erected against one wall and services were held there. Tradition asserts this site has been used for religious services since 1818. The present chapel was constructed in 1924.

Originally registered April 30, 1940. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego, Santa Ysabel Tribal Council, and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, September 26, 1987.

Registered 4/3/1940