#0411 Campo Stone Store


#0411 Campo Stone Store

Site information:

W side of State Hwy 94, N of Campo Rd, Campo


Plaque information:

State and private plaques

State plaque text:

Campo Stone Store

The pioneer Gaskill brothers of 1868 built a frame store which was raided on December 4, 1875 by border bandits. This fort-like replacement of summer 1855 was bought in 1896 by E. T. Aiken, resold to Klauber Wangenheim, 1889, and operated by Henry Marcus Johnson as the Mountain Commercial Company until 1925. In disrepair, it was bought after 1938 by E. M. Statler, given to San Diego County, and restored, 1943-48, as a museum.

Originally registered November 15, 1948. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Diego County Department of Parks and Recreation the and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, May 3, 1986.

Private plaque text:

Old Campo Store

Dedicated to the Pioneers of San Diego County. Built in 1868 by L.H. and S.E. Gaskill. Historic Stone Store - Post Office, Bank and Stage Station.  Scene of Famous Bandit Raid December 5, 1875

Donor - Ellsworth M. Statler. Restored by San Diego County Board of Supervisors 1943-48

California State Historical Association
San Diego Historical Society
Sons and Daughters of the Golden West
May 9, 1948
Registered 11/15/1948