Site information:Town Hall, corner of Washington St & Main St, Julian
Plaque information:State plaque and private plaque
State plaque text:Julian City
Following the discovery of gold nearby during the winter of 1869-70, this valley became the commercial and social center of a thriving mining district. Ex-Confederate soldier Drury D. Batley laid out the town on his farmland and named it for his cousin and fellow native of Georgia, Michael S. Julian. By 1906 most mines were unprofitable. Since then the area has become more famous for the variety and quality of its apple crop.
Originally registered November 15, 1948. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Julian Chamber of Commerce and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus. September 27, 1986.
Private plaque text:Julian
Historic Gold Mining Town founded by Drury D. Bailey Feb. 1870
Dedicated by Native Sons & Daughters of the Golden West, San Diego Historical Society, San Diego Co. Board of Supervisors, 1948