#0668 French Camp

Title

#0668 French Camp

Site information:

On Elm St at French Camp School, French Camp

37.886152,-121.269865

Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

French Camp

Here was the terminus of the Oregon-California Trail used by the French-Canadian trappers employed by the Hudson’s Bay Company from about 1832 to 1845. Michel La Framboise, among others, met fur trappers here annually where they camped with their families. In 1844 Charles M. Weber and William Gulnac promoted the first white settlement colony on Rancho del Camp de los Franceses, which included French Camp and the site of Stockton.

Plaque placed by the California State Parks Commission in cooperation with the Reynolds Family Native Daughters of the Golden West, Ladies Auxiliary to California Pioneers, and French Camp District-Chamber of Commerce, June 6, 1959.

Registered 12/1/1958

Collection

Geolocation