#0193 Picacho Mines


#0193 Picacho Mines

Site information:

Picacho Rd (a long dirt road), 18.2 mi N of Winterhaven


Plaque information:

State plaque nearby, N of the mine site, at:


Plaque text:

Picacho Mines

Opened by placer miners after 1852, the gold mines expanded into hard rock quarrying by 1872. Picacho employed 700 miners at its peak from 1895 to 1900. Mill accidents, low ore quality, and the loss of cheap river transport with the building of Laguna Dam led to numerous periods of inactivity. With ores far from worked out, the Picacho Mines, using modern techniques, again resumed operations in 1984.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus and the Imperial Valley Pioneers Historical Society. Dedicated April 20, 1985.

Registered 6/20/1935