#0663 Courthouse of Calaveras County, 1852-1866, and Leger Hotel

Title

#0663 Courthouse of Calaveras County, 1852-1866, and Leger Hotel

Site information:

NE corner of Main and Lafayette Sts, Mokelumne Hill

38.301197,-120.705835

Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

Calaveras County Courthouse and leger Hotel

A portion of this building served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1852 to 1866, when the county seat was removed to San Andreas. George W. Leger then acquired the court building and made it a part of his adjoining hotel, which has been in operation since early gold mining days. It was known as the Grand Hotel in 1874 when fire damaged it and destroyed its dance hall. Restored in 1879, it has since been known as the Leger Hotel.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Mokelumne Hill Lions Club, June 14, 1959.

Registered 11/5/1958

Collection

Geolocation