#0734 Angels Hotel


#0734 Angels Hotel

Site information:

NE corner of Main St and Bird Way, Angels Camp


Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

Angels Hotel

C. C. Lake erected here a canvas hotel in 1851. It was replaced by a one-story wooden structure, and then by one of stone in 1855, with a second story being added in 1857. Here, Samuel Clemens first heard the yarn, which was later to bring him fame as Mark Twain, author of "The Jumping Frog of Calaveras".

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with Princess Parlor No. 84, Native Daughters of the Golden West, July 31, 1960.

Registered 4/8/1960