#0126 Colton Hall
#0126 Colton Hall
Site information:570 Pacific St, Monterey
Plaque information:There are multiple private plaques for this location, all in the same general location.
Plaque textColton Hall
In this building from September 1 to October 13, 1849 assembled the convention which drafted the constitution under which California was admitted to statehood, September 9, 1850. The forty-eight delegates met on the upper floor which ran the length of the main building. Robert Semple was chairman and William G. Marcy, secretary. The stairway leading to the convention hall was in the rear of the building. Reverend Walter Colton, first American alcalde in Monterey, erected this building, which bears his name, as a public hall and school house. Colton and Robert Semple established in Monterey on August 15, 1846, the first American newspaper in California.
Tablet placed by historic landmarks committee, Native Sons of the Golden West June 3, 1931.
Plaque textColton Hall - Site of California's Original Constitution
Forty-eight men of diverse education and cultural backgrounds from throughout California converged upon Monterey in September in 1849 to frame a constitutional government for California. Working together as Californians, they created this important cornerstone of government. The deliberations, conducted in English and Spanish, took place in Colton Hall. On October 13, 1849, the delegates signed and submitted a state constitution to the people of California. It was ratified by popular vote on November 13, 1849.
The 1849 Constitution was notable in that it featured articles on suffrage, women's property rights, prohibition of slavery, establishment of the state's eastern boundary, and specified that all laws and ordinances would be published in English and Spanish. On September 9, 1850, the Congress of the United States of America approved the constitution, making California the 31st state.
California State Society, Daughters of the American Revolution March 7, 2010
Plaque textThis hall, started in 1847, completed in 1849, was named after its builder Chaplain Walter Colton, U.S.N. 1797-1851
Congregational minister, historian, author, and editor, who served as alcade at Monterey from 28 July 1846 to 1 October 1848. On 15 August 1846, in partnership with Robert Semple, Colton established California's first newspaper, "The Californian." He impanelled the first U.S. jury ever to be summoned in this state on 4 September 1846, and in 1847 was appointed judge of the U.S. Court of Admiralty. "The American people love valor, but they love religion also. They will confer their highest honors only on him who combines both." Colton This plaque was presented to the city of Monterey by the U.S. Navy on the 180th anniversary of the Navy Chaplains Corps, 28 November 1955.