#0483 Father Rinaldi's Foundation of 1856

Title

#0483 Father Rinaldi's Foundation of 1856

Site information:

Between Red Bluff Rd and High St, Shasta

40.593390, -122.488735

Plaque information:

Private plaque

Plaque text:

Registered state historical landmark no. 483.  Foundation of Catholic basilica.  Cornerstone laid on May 1857 by Archbishop Joseph Alemany O.P.

Rev. Raphael Rinaldi, pastor

OHP description:

In the summer of 1853 Archbishop Alemany of San Francisco sent Father Florian Schwenninger to take over the mission of Shasta County. In the later part of 1853 a small wooden church was built. In 1855 Father Schwenninger moved over to Weaverville and Shasta's new priest, Father Raphael Rinaldi, decided to build a structure of cut stone to replace the small wooden church that had served since 1853. In 1857 the cornerstone of the church was laid, but for some reason its walls never rose, the foundation can still be seen (1963).

Collection

Geolocation